Grubhub Issues ‘State of The Plate’ Report Detailing Top Dining Trends and Forecasts
- Los Angeles, California
- Brooklyn, New York
- Portland, Oregon
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Rochester, New York
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Detroit, Michigan
- San Diego, California
- Chicken Shish Kabob: 240% more popular
- Chicken Tinga: 131% more popular
- Spicy Potato Taco: 111% more popular
- Mushroom Stroganoff: 90% more popular
- Cuban Picadillo Empanadas: 85% more popular
- Cauliflower Bites: 536% more popular
- Ahi Tuna Salad: 467% more popular
- Mixed Berry Acai Bowls: 411% more popular
- Chicken Poblano: 336% more popular
- Quinoa Taco: 285% more popular
- Barbecue Pork Buns
- Truffle Parm Frie
- Quinoa & Arugula Salad
- Pesto Pasta
- Fried Okra
- Lemongrass Soup
- Impossible Burger: 326% more popular
- Cheese Quesadilla: 144% more popular
- Waffle Fries: 135% more popular
- Harvest Bowl: 340% more popular
- Guay Tiew Pad See Eiw: 319% more popular
- Bagel and Egg Sandwich: 204% more popular
- Shrimp Linguini Alfredo: 273% more popular
- Baked Potato Soup: 236% more popular
- New England Clam Chowder: 185% more popular
- Glazed Baby Back Ribs: 412% more popular
- Pork Burrito: 208% more popular
- Impossible Burger: 194% more popular
- Chicken & Waffles: 219% more popular
- Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit: 179% more popular
- Pancakes & Bacon: 145% more popular
- Brownie Sundae: 273% more popular
- Cake Batter Frozen Yogurt: 232% more popular
- Donut Ice Cream Sandwich: 217% more popular
- Impossible Burger: 529% more popular
- Steak Quesadilla: 447% more popular
- Mashed Potatoes & Gravy: 325% more popular
Grubhub, the USA’s leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery service with more than 115,000 restaurant partners in over 2,200 cities, released its "State of the Plate" report on June 26. Using data from approximately half a million orders placed on an average day through its platform, the Chicago-headquartered company’s mid-year report predicts what can be expected in the second half of the year, and provides an update on where some of the "trendier" foods actually stand.
As highlighted in the 2018 “Year in Food” report, it’s clear that plant-based options continue to be on the rise across America, and this trend is seen in delivery as well. Orders of vegan-friendly foods on the Grubhub platform have advanced by 25% so far in 2019 (as compared to January-May 2018), with orders for the Impossible Burger specifically rising overall by 82%.
The areas ordering the most vegan foods delivered by Grubhub were ranked as follows:
In determining the top places for vegans, Grubhub evaluated a variety of factors using data available through its platform, including the number of vegan restaurants, ratings, order volume and overall number of vegan items available on Grubhub in each respective city as compared to the rest of the country.
Whether it's heartier foods to keep one warm in winter or lighter bites for spring in advance of the warmer months, each season has particular food dishes that are popular among consumers. But what's to come for summer and fall? What Grubhub found may surprise you!
Top Trends: Winter
Top Trends: Spring
For "Top Trends," the delivery service took a look at the top foods on the Grubhub platform from winter (December 21, 2018-March 20, 2019) and spring (March 20-June 8, 2019) as compared to the same timeframe in 2018 to find the leading items rising in popularity. For "Forecasted" items, it looked at the top foods on the Grubhub platform over the past two years, recently trending items, and other seasonal favorites to forecast what America will indulge in this summer and fall.
Regional Favorites to Date
Grubhub analyzed the most popular foods so far in 2019 across the four regions. To break it down, the Midwest kept it vegan- and vegetarian-friendly, while the Northeast mixed it up with a classic making an appearance. Consumers in the South stayed with seafood, and those in the West opted for a mix of "meat" options.
Grubhub took a look at the top foods on its platform from the specified regions from Jan 1-May 31, 2019 as compared to the same timeframe in 2018 to find the top items rising in popularity.
Comparing 2018 with 2019 trends, it seems that Breakfast is leaning a bit more indulgent, dessert is a little chillier, and late-night favorites lead a vegan option. Here are the top items by category this far this year: